Sweet and flavorful bell peppers are packed with tender beef, melty mozzarella and Italian herbs served over a bed of baby greens. This a protein-packed, keto-friendly lunch bursting with colors and flavor.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 large onions, sliced thinly
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 pound beef tenderloin
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 bell peppers, halved, ribs and seeds removed
1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
Fresh basil, minced, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and a pinch of salt, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill to medium. Brush the steak lightly with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, dried basil, and oregano. Grill the steak for about 4 minutes, flip, and continue grilling until the internal temperature reaches 120°F. Remove and let the steak rest for a few minutes. Thinly slice the steak.
- Fill a large saucepan with enough water to cover the peppers. Bring to a boil, add the peppers and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes. Place the peppers in the prepared baking dish, cut side up.
- Fill each pepper half with caramelized onions, steak, and shredded mozzarella.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the filling is warmed through, about 10 minutes. Serve the peppers over a bed of baby spinach, sprinkled with minced fresh basil.